The dramatic landscape of the Swedish High Coast is a UNESCO World Heritage site, known for its unique and highly scenic landscape with steep granite cliffs and stony islands rising from the sea. That’s right, actually rising from the sea. The High Coast is the highest land uplift on the planet.
The spectacular nature offers adrenaline-fueled activities like rock climbing, trail races, snowmobiling and surfing. But this is also a great place to relax and wash off the everyday stress with scenic hikes and stunning views, accompanied by the quietness of nature.
The High Coast has three airports, and two more in neighboring regions with international flights. They are all connected with several daily flights to Sweden’s largest international airport, Arlanda.
These airports, combined with connecting trains and buses, provide great accessibility, and create an interesting climate for business and investments.
A market in growth
The Swedish travel and tourism industry is Sweden’s fastest-growing industry and the revenue is expected to double over the next decade. Revenue from international visitors has more than doubled in the past five years and tourism volumes have grown faster than the European average.
In the High Coast area, this trend is especially obvious and the number of tourists has skyrocketed in the last few years. This has created a growing demand for attractions, packaged experiences and accommodation from both Swedish and international travelers and there are good opportunities for e.g. international real estate entrepreneurs, venture capital and operators within eco-tourism, ski tourism, food tourism and adventure tourism.
Tourism investments in the High Coast – this is why
- The high demand. Tourism is the fastest-growing service industry in Sweden, and the High Coast has a large increase in foreign tourist flows. The area’s tourism industry is an unexploited market and there is a high demand for new products and services. This indicates a large, untapped potential and provides an interesting environment for new businesses.
- The easy access. The region has three airports and another two nearby. They all offer several daily flights and are all less than an hour’s flight from Stockholm Arlanda airport, where you can catch direct flights to more than 170 destinations worldwide, including New York, Hong Kong, Moscow and Dubai. The train and bus connections are also well developed and the main highway, the E4, runs through the area.
- The gorgeous setting. The Swedish High Coast offers unique, beautiful and pristine environments. The area is a UNESCO World Heritage site and has been voted the most beautiful location in Sweden.
- The thrilling adventures. The Swedes are a nature-loving people and there are endless possibilities to explore the beautiful environment of the High Coast. Trail running, rock climbing, skiing, fishing, sailing, ziplining, snowmobiling, surfing, hiking and downhill biking are only a few examples of how you can access the magical nature of our part of the world.
- The cruise friendly coast line. Due to the beautiful coastline in combination with outstanding infrastructure on land and sea, the Swedish High Coast is becoming a popular cruise ship destination. Birka Cruises, which is currently the only cruise line that offers cruises to the High Coast, is selling out their tours and the travelers keep coming back.
Travel and Tourism in Sweden – Sector Overview